Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Solstice Dream

Here's day eighteen's submission of NaPoWriMo (a poem a day for the month of April in honor of National Poetry Month): another Summer Solstice poem (I know it's early, but it's for a contest, alright?). Here we go!




Solstice Dream


I was never the one
invited to dance naked
on the beach
in the woods
within a circle of stones
when the shadows were shortest
and the sun swung its arc
across the apex of the sky.

No I didn’t get passed the joint,
smoke hash from a pipe,
or eat the mushrooms;
didn’t sacrifice my virginity
to whatever goddess demanded it,
or shave my head
wear robes
and walk barefoot
over burning coals.

Not me.
Not that I didn’t want to.
But I stayed home,
helped put tin foil over the kids’ windows
so they’d finally go to sleep,
and fell into the mattress
like she was a mistress,
cradling me from the energy
demanded by so much light.

She would cover my eyes with her pillows,
and rise to me, pushing
sensuous, inviting, suggestive.
But I was already snoring,
passing a pipe,
twirling naked in my dreams.

No comments: