Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

Spring Willows

Here's day twelve's submission of NaPoWriMo (a poem a day for the month of April in honor of National Poetry Month).


photo from Long Island Daily Photo
Spring Willows


I don't have a photograph
of a willow.
Today as I drove by
two trees tentatively sending shoots
out spindly arms
 - can I call them arms?
they seem armlike to me -
they move in the wind like we wave
or better, dance - a smooth swaying
or a sashay, one almost thinks...

Anyway,
these two trees, relatives, I assume
only because they were near one another
like a brother and sister might choose
another question:
- is it odd to think of tree as siblings -
 part of a family?
Isn't that what a grove is?

But to the narrative
I am struggling with here,
these two trees seemed to wave
as I drove by, and they had a feel to them
that they wanted to be noticed.
Or maybe it was just me, wanting to see them,
and I thought,
I don't have a photograph
of a willow.

I'd sure like one.



No comments: