Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Veronica

Here's day sixteen's submission of NaPoWriMo (a poem a day for the month of April in honor of National Poetry Month):




Veronica



You, of all people, know:
I have been a fisherman,
a hoodlum,
a photographer,
a thief,
a teacher,
a liar,
a father,
a murderer - just not of people,
a lover,
a child,
husband,
student,
a cheat,
reckless,
responsible,
educated,
and ignorant.

I have played,
worked,
cried,
screamed,
raged,
loved,
fought,
kissed a grandchild,
raised two sons
with you,
hugged our dogs,
driven away in anger,
laughed,

and slept with one hand
on your back,
and the other
on the cat's.


But, knowing full well
all you held,
you still looked at me tonight
as I told you how
I wish my mom
hadn't been the alcoholic she was
with tears in my eyes,
my voice breaking,
and pulled me to you.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Veronica, He's the man!!!