Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Photographing with Dylan










Summer Heat


Last night my son and I stood together
next to a reflection lake at midnight
on the longest day of the year.

We were photographing the moon
and the Capitol dome mirrored
in the glassy water.

As we talked about exposure and ISO
it occurred to me how much more
the experience meant with him there.

Here was the little boy I used to carry
into the darkroom to show him the dichroic
colored light of an enlarger, standing

beside me – now a man with his own family,
under a full moon capturing his own light
to carry on his own path. We smiled and joked,

looked at each other’s images, packed up our tripods
and drove home in the humid summer heat,
windows down, quiet together, on our way

to ever shorter days.


No comments: